Just last week in my salon I got the pleasure of seeing two of my mentors--a couple who devote their lives to giving back. They work to help children, the homeless and abuse victims. They are the type of people who inspire you to do something and they create a movement wherever they go. I was honored when they asked me for my help. My first thought was, "What could I possibly do to help them that they haven't already accomplished?" Well, they asked if they could borrow my styling skills to help the homeless. They use their resources to help house the homeless and also feed them, clothe them, and help improve their appearance to get them back on their feet for job interviews and a fresh start. They said they came to me because I was just the person they needed to get the job done. I was touched that I would be able to use my skills to help those who can't help themselves. This amazing, selfless couple inspired me to do some research of my own and be a part of something bigger than myself. Everyone, no matter who you are, loves to feel good about themselves and what they do. And there are a myriad of ways in which each of, as stylists, can give back. Here are just a few of the ideas I ran across while researching how I could make a difference:
1) Battered Women's Shelter
- All returned, slightly damaged and even extra products you or the salon has lying around could be donated to a women's shelter.
- You could ask any of your clients to bring in their drugstore-branded products or any unwanted shampoo and conditioner sets. Just explain to them they would be giving to a great cause.
2) Homeless Shelters
- When people think about homeless shelters they think of helping out by feeding them. And, while a haircut or color can't make their problems disappear, it sure could help them feel far less lost. It could give potential for job interviews that would help give them a fresh future. You could not go wrong by donating your time and the talents you have to offer.
3) Redken's Hairdressers Against AIDS
- Team up with Redken NYC 5Th Avenue, as they go on a journey around the world to create a beautiful world without AIDS. Be a part of this by using your voice as a stylist. Encourage everyone to get tested, ask questions, get answers, be cautious and spread the word.
4) Locks of Love
- Make sure all of your clients are aware of Locks of Love and how great it can feel to give to people in need. Let your clients know it's a great way to get a new sassy look and give something back at the same time.
5) St. Baldricks
- It is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives.
- By going to their website you can sign up to participate by setting up a local even or search for an event near you.
- Challenge Everyone to "BEAT THE HEAT" and get bald to give encouragement and donations.
- For more information go to http://www.StBaldricks.org/
These are just a few ideas I had from my chair to yours that might help fellow stylists get involved in their community. I encourage all stylists to be apart of making a difference by simply using their talent and doing what they love.
JUST REMEMBER .......You could never put a price on the feeling you get when you touch someone's heart just by touching their head.