"Your hair grows about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch every month, and the foundation of all new hair growth is in the nutrients we eat," according to webmd.com. The following 10 top foods should be the foundation of your healthy hair diet:
1) Salmon--When it comes to food that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.
2) Dark Green Vegetables--Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of Vitamins A and C.
3) Beans--Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet.
4) Nuts--Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp. Walnuts, cashews, pecans and almonds are all a terrific source of zinc, a deficiency of which can lead to hair shedding.
5) Poultry--High-quality protein provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its rewards.
6) Eggs--One of the best protein sources you can find, eggs contain both biotin and Vitamin B-12.
7) Whole Grains--Eat whole-wheat brread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals for a hair-healthy doses of zinc,iron and B Vitamins.
8) Oysters--These luscious bivalves contain the hair-boosting abilities of zinc.
9) Low-Fat Dairy Products--Skim milk and yogurt are great sources of protein.
10) A Balanced Diet for Healthy Hair--When it comes to foods for healthy hair and beauty, variety is the best way to go. And for vegetarians, include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.