With proper care and a little creativity, you can keep your color-treated hair looking shiny and vibrant. This is good news since 70% of women in the U.S. color their hair! To help protect your hair color and keep your hair looking lovely, we spoke with our Artistic/Technical Director & Product Consultant, Steve Waldman, to get his expert advice to get the longest-lasting color in-between salon visits.
Color-treated Hair Tips
1. Use the right haircare – Avoid using harsh shampoos that will make your hair dull. Products recommended by your stylist that are designed specifically for color treated hair will help retain your color. We love cibu® Color Shampoo and Conditioner to provide essential moisture, shine and the anti-fading properties of Green Tea.
2. Stay on schedule – Rebook your next appointment before leaving the salon. Every 4 weeks for root touch-ups and all over color, 6-8 weeks for highlights and dimensional color will keep your hair looking great between salon visits.
3. Keep your cool – Did you know hot water can fade your color faster? Shampoo and condition your hair with lukewarm water to retain rich vibrancy and tone. Plus, it’s also better for your skin too!
4. Get Extra Gloss– Don’t settle for dull hair. You can keep it shiny with a gloss treatment to help lock in color and make your hair the shining star!
5. Start with the perfect canvas – A clarifying treatment before your color service will remove build-up and minerals in the hair that can reduce your color’s longevity.
6. Wet your hair with fresh water before swimming – If you have plans to spend a day at the beach or pool, you should rinse your hair before getting in the water. Saltwater can dry out hair, while pool chemicals can affect tone. Wetting it with fresh water first keeps your hair from soaking up the salt water or pool water and will keep it healthier.
7. Invest in tone-infusing haircare– Ask your stylist about shampoos and conditioner that will gently keep your hair’s tone on point and flattering. Use them as directed and rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle. For highlighted hair, blondes and silvers- we love cibu Platinum Brightening Shampoo to brighten, tone and protect hair color.
8. Comb your hair with the right tool to reduce breakage – Hair is fragile, especially when it’s wet! Instead of ripping through snarls with a regular comb or brush, use a Wet Brush or wide-tooth comb. Begin at the ends of your hair in sections and work your way carefully to the roots. If you use heat styling tools, spray some cibu® Thermal Shine Spray on prior to combing for added slip, shine and heat protection.
9. Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase – Cotton pillowcases create friction and actually draw moisture out of your hair. Smooth fabrics, like silk or satin, do not. They also reduce tangles and frizz, leading to smoother, shiny hair and less styling time in the morning. It’s also helpful to fight wrinkles (double win)!
10. Protect hair from the sun – It’s not just your skin, UV rays can damage your hair too! This can result in fading hair color. Keep hair covered and out of direct sunlight when possible. Refresh and revive hot, thirsty hair with a few mists cibu® CBD Moisture Leave In Conditioning Spray.
All rights for the images used belong to their respective owners.