Pumpkin spice, anyone? Coffee, donuts…hair? Yes, please! As we welcome autumn, many of us welcome everything pumpkin spice… even our hair color. With the transition of each season, it’s a perfect time to change the color of our hair and get inspo from Mother Nature. Over the summer, we wanted to be lighter and brighter, and now come fall we want to be darker, richer and warmer. If you’re wondering what to do with your hair color this fall, come to Hair Cuttery where our stylists will give you the perfect shade of pumpkin spice to upgrade up your look.
Pumpkin Spice Has Options
If you were one of the many who added highlights to your hair this summer or possibly went solid blonde, you might be looking for a little change to your hue. Or maybe you want to revive your tone for the season to give you that burst of color. Whatever the scenario, pumpkin spice hair color is all the rave at Hair Cuttery. Here are some different ideas to incorporate the beautiful, amazing, show-stopping pumpkin spice glam:
- All-over color. Depending what your beginning hair color is, this could be a bold choice or a subtle burst of color. Pumpkin spice isn’t one set color, but is predominantly copper red with tones such as auburn, strawberry blonde and dark brown throughout. Depending on the level of darkness you want and the desired highlighting hues, your Hair Cuttery Professional can tailor a warm, autumnal hair color to you that will make your eyes pop and skin glow.
- Highlights. If you have a darker base and want to add lighter bursts of pumpkin spice’s beautiful coppers and reds, lightening sections of your hair then finishing with a perfect warm tone will have you feeling one with the season. With highlights, you can choose to be quite subtle with a few thin sections, or go with a heavy highlight to make your base color look ultra-dimensional.
- Lowlights. Coming out of summer, many of you may fall into this category. It’s time to ditch that heavy blonde or caramel color to something deeper and warmer. Same as with a highlight, there is precise control with adding a lot or a few lowlights. This darker color is going to deepen the appearance of your base and possibly help blend in some regrowth by extending this darker color throughout your lengths.
Maintenance Tips for Pumpkin Spice Hair
Like any hair color, there is a level of maintenance we recommend to keep your color true and long-lasting. Follow these tips to maintain your pumpkin spice color as long as possible:
- Use color care products like Redken Color Magnetics line or Cibu Color Shampoo & Conditioner. These are paraben- and sulfate-free, nourishing and protective to help minimize fading.
- Don’t wash too frequently. The more you wash, the sooner your color can start to fade; this is less of an issue with permanent color, but washing too often can still lead to fading. In addition to maintaining shinier, more lustrous color, it’s also generally healthier for your scalp and hair to be moisturized through the body’s natural oils. Washing your hair every day strips it of those oils.
- Refresh your red. Keeping your color refreshed is sure to keep you happy. Depending on the level of permanency, shade of pumpkin spice color you choose and the condition of your hair, you may want to refresh every 4-6 weeks to 10-12 weeks. Chat with your Hair Cuttery Professional about a schedule that would work for you and your hair care needs.