If there’s one hair style that stood out on the red carpet at the Oscars this year, it was the long, gorgeous S-waves that rippled down the shoulders of talented actresses like Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Margot Robbie, Rebel Wilson and Beanie Feldstein. This super-glamorous look also made a dramatic appearance on the runways of Fall 2020 Fashion Week at Christopher John Roger’s show in New York and in Milan at Sara Battaglia. The style may have originated with Hollywood Golden Age bombshells like Rita Hayworth, Veronica Lake and Lauren Bacall, but this va-va-voom look is clearly back with vengeance, and we couldn’t be happier.
After all, messy buns, beachy waves or high ponytails may be great for every day, but for those times when you want something more dramatic and polished (we’re thinking prom, going to a wedding, or a night on the town), nothing beats this style. And fortunately, getting the look is easier than you think.
- Make a deep side part and divide your hair in equal, manageable sections.
- Taking two-inch sections, mist with hair volumizer. (We love BigWigg Weightless Volumizer from AG Hair, which is also a thermal protectant.) Then use a curling iron with a 1” barrel to curl hair towards the face.
- Pin curl at the base.
- Repeat this for all sections, working your way around the head.
- Pull out the clips.
- Spray hairspray on a paddle brush and brush gently through all of your curls. Our choice: Sashini Thermal Shine Spray from Cibu.
- Set the front wave into a dramatic S-shape, making sure it falls in the way you want, then clip it in place. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Now just add some bright red lipstick, and you’re ready for your close-up!
Share your Hollywood look with us on Facebook and Instagram with #MyHCLook and you could be featured in our Lookbook.